I found an interesting Blog about having an Agile Mindset. Scrum-Breakfast by @peterstev! has some really good insight on what it means to be a life long learner and being agile. It is not just for Software Development anymore.
At the very least, someone who has the mindset is in alignment with the first sentence of the Agile Manifesto: The Agile Mindset is a learning mindset.
Someone with an Agile mindset knows what they do, besides making money! What value do you bring value to those whom you value? Someone with an Agile mindset is uncovering be ers ways to do what they do, both by doing it, and by helping others to do the same. This is about advancing the state of your art, having me to improve your skills and technology, and learning and sharing beyond your own four walls.
Finally someone with an Agile mindset knows what they value. The have re ected on the Values and Principles of the Agile Manifesto and found their own beliefs to be largely in harmony with those expressed in the Manifesto. Values are a guide to decision making, so their decisions will be aligned with the Agile Manifesto as well. Perhaps they have addi onal values. Perhaps they have reason to disagree with one or more of the values in their context. The less relevant you consider the Agile values, the more you should ques on yourself on whether you really have the mindset!
Finally someone with an Agile mindset knows why they value what they value. Values are not to be blindly followed. You may value other things beyond the 4 values expressed in the Agile Manifesto.
Peter’s 5 Questions
- What do you do for those whom you value? The answer must contain a verb and is not “making money.” BRH – there is more to life than just making money. Building, adding value, and being are all part of life.
- Are you uncovering better ways of doing what you do, by doing it?
- Are you uncovering better ways of doing what you do, by helping others to do the same? BRH — The secret to success. The more you influence, the happy you are.
- Have you reflected on the values and principles of the Agile Manifesto and what they mean for you?
- Can you concisely explain your values and why you value them?
Here is the whole document with the assessment. Do the assessment to determine how agile you, your team, your leadership is.